Amazing wet weather alternative in the Cairngorms where you still get your fix of physical activity but also go home with some traditional craft skills.
With over 15 years experience of working with wood and a passion for teaching, Wooden Tom will bring out the creative talents of every individual. By limiting the number of people to 6 per course students will get the dedicated time they need, not only to go home with a hand carved utensil but more importantly, the traditional skills to carry on this ancient craft.
Come to Tom, or Tom can come to you bringing all tools and equipment with full public liability insurance and first aid training.
Learn new skills in the woods.. whatever the weather!
Wooden Tom specialises in courses teaching traditional green woodworking – using hand tools and ‘green’ wood that hasn’t been dried or treated in any way. What could be nicer than sitting out in the woods, whittling away in the sunshine, or cosying up by the woodburner with a cup of tea if it’s raining (or snowing), all the while learning new practical skills?!
Have a look at the videos below for an introduction to Wooden Tom’s world, and a speedy tutorial on how to carve a spoon!
Families, corporate groups, birthday parties (all ages!) and stag and hen parties all welcome.
Tom can come to you! He will bring all tools and materials. Travel is charged at 0.45ppm. You would need to provide suitable shelter incase the weather turns bad or at the very least make people aware to wrap up appropriately.
See prices below:
Half day courses
Up to 10 people maximum. £260 or Tom can come to you for £310 plus mileage.
- Nordic woodcarft (Perfect taster session where you will learn how make a butterknife and how to select the right wood and use the tools safely).
- Bird making (love nature? this might just be perfect for you) A great beginners course. Carve and paint one bird bauble
Full day courses
- Spoon carving (great full day first project) £300 if you come to me. £350 if i come to you. Max capacity 8
- Bird making (Make 3 birds so you have some for gifts) £300 if you come to me. £350 if i come to you. Max capacity 10
- Highland cup making. £350 if you come to me. £400 if i come to you. Max capacity 6
- Whisky quaich. £350 if you come to me £400. if i come to you. Max capacity 6
- Blacksmithing (1 day) Forge your own knife, make a handle to take home but not fitting it. Participants would need to finish off at home by tempering, sharpening and fitting handle.
- £500 if you come to me £550 if i come to you. Max capacity 6
- Blacksmithing (2 day) Forge your own knife. We temper and learn how to get a razor sharp edge on the blade, handle it and make a basic sheath. Go home with a ready to use knife.
- £600 if you come to me £650 if i come to you. Max capacity 6
- Advanced cups. (2 day course) £450 if you come to me. £500 if i come to you. Max capacity 6
- Goblet making. (2 day course)£450 if you come to me £500. if i come to you. Max capacity 6
Wooden Tom is proud to have worked with…